Please note our information practices with respect to children are discussed in Section 5 of this policy.
Plan it Green Live (“Plan it Green”) is an online game located at the website, www.planitgreenlive.org
2. Information Collected
Information You Provide Directly to National Geographic.
In addition to collecting an email address at time of registration, we may request a City Name (screen name) and/or email address when a user submits a form through the "Help" portion of the Plan it Green Live website so that we may respond to the inquiry. We collect the City Name and/or email address for the purpose of responding to the inquiry and we may retain the City Name and/or email address to send you online communications, such as password reminders, and/or other uses as described in this policy.
We may also request a user’s email address or other personal information in connection with on online contest or sweepstakes entry or in connection with other features of the Site.
We may combine personally identifiable information that you have provided to us with other information that is publicly available or that we receive from other sources.
Information We Collect Automatically.
In addition to information that you choose to provide to us, we also use standard Internet technologies to collect automatically certain additional information. For example:
Third-Party Online Advertising.
- IP Address. When you come to our Site, we collect your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which identifies the computer or service provider that you use to access the Site. We may use IP addresses to collect information regarding the frequency with which specific visitors access various parts of our Site and the duration of time spent on the Site and in different activities on the Site. We may combine this information with personally identifiable information that we have collected to make our Site and our communications to you more targeted to your interests.
- Other Technical Methods. The Site uses a service called Google Analytics, and may in the future use other technical methods, to help us determine how visitors use our Site, how they arrived on our Site and from which country, which parts of the Site are most popular and otherwise measure the effectiveness of the Site so we can create a better experience for our visitors. These technical methods may involve the transmission of information directly to us or to a service provider authorized by us to collect information on our behalf.
We do not have any third-party advertising on this Site.
3. Information Use
In addition to the purposes described in Section 2, National Geographic may use information that we collect about you for a variety of business purposes, including:
- we may use a player’s screen name to ban a user temporarily or permanently from the Site if that user engages in inappropriate conduct on the Site;
- to send you newsletters or promotional communications, although you may opt out from receiving newsletters or promotional communications by following the instructions for opting out that will be included with each newsletter and communication or by contacting us at the address provided below in the section called “Contact Us”;
- to maintain and manage your account, deliver services that you have requested, and enhance your experience on our Site;
- to retrieve and change your password;
- to resolve ongoing issues with City management and in-app transactions such as “hearts” retrieval and replenishment and promo- code application;
- to communicate with you about the Site, or to respond to your inquiries or comments;
- to perform business analyses or for other purposes to improve the quality of the Site, and the products and services we offer;or
- in accordance with your consent.
4. Information Sharing and Disclosure
We take very seriously our responsibility to maintain your privacy with respect to your personally identifiable information. We will therefore share that information only with the following entities, and only under these circumstances:
- in aggregated or other non-personally identifiable form;or
- in accordance with your consent.
5. Children’s Privacy
For users under the age of 13, we will request a parent’s email address at the time of registration. Upon registration, we will assign each player a randomly generated user ID. The parent’s email address is used for the purpose of providing notice to the parent about the child’s participation in our online game, to send the parent communications about the child’s Plan it Green Live account or about features of Plan it Green Live, to send periodic newsletters and to otherwise provide online updates to the parent.
If we determine that a child has sent us his or her own email address (as opposed to parent’s email address) in connection with a help request, we will respond on a one-time basis to the child’s request and then delete the child’s email address.
If a child submits an online contest or sweepstakes entry, we will use the child’s email address only to enter her or him in the contest or sweepstakes and to contact the child on a one-time basis to notify them if they have won or lost, and then delete the online contact information.
Apart from the registration process where we collect a parent’s email address as noted above, our Site does not currently contain any features that would enable a child to make personal information publicly available. We have created a City Name Generator for all users other than those who log in using social media. The City Name Generator contains combinations of numerous pre-approved words. The City Name serves as a user's screen name. For some of our online activities - such as polls, surveys, games or contests - we may ask users to provide information that is not personally identifiable, such as country of residence or a user’s favorite color.
Parents can review the information that we have collected online from their children under 13, prevent the further collection or use of such information, or direct the deletion of their children’s personal information by contacting us at the address given below, or by emailing us at email@example.com
, Attention: NG Games. This request will not affect registration and a player may continue to play the game. Of course, parents may also ask us to cancel their child’s registration in order to end their play of the game.
6. Third Party Sites
7. Information Security
The security and confidentiality of your information is extremely important to us, and we take a number of steps to safeguard any personally identifiable information. However, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure, and therefore we cannot warrant or guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this policy.
9. Contact Us
National Geographic Society
Attn: Marketing Services - Privacy
1145 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036-4688
Telephone: 800-NGS-LINE (800-647-5463)
Outside the United States and Canada: 813-979-6845
Parents can review the information that we have collected online from their children under 13, prevent the further collection or use of such information, or direct the deletion of their children’s personal information by contacting us at the address given above, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
, Attention: NG Games.
This policy was last updated July 22, 2013.